The museum, one of the oldest religious museums in Italy, was founded in 1859 and is annexed to the Church of Sant’Andrea. The museum displays some of the most important works of Tuscan artists from the Late Middle Ages and the Renaissance, deriving mainly from churches and convents of the city.
The visit begins on the ground floor, where in addition to the room containing the sculptures of Mino da Fiesole and Tino da Camaino, one can admire the Baptisimal Font of 1447 attributed to Bernardo Rossellino and the frescoes including the Cristo in pietà (1425), the masterpiece of Masolino da Panicale, a famous artist responsabile for the frescoes of the Chapel of Saint Elena, in the nearby Church of Santo Stefano of the Augustinian, which can be visited with the same ticket as the museum.
The first floor is home to the Pinacoteca where paintings are displayed in chronological order. First one sees the works of Lorenzo Monaco and other Florentine artists from the 14th and 15th Centuries before passing in to the rooms dedicated to the Tuscan Renaissance where the precious Madonna in trono of Filippo Lippi predominates. The last rooms display the numerous works of Botticini, whose workshop was active between the 15th – 17th Century and who created the monumental tabernacles that came from the church. From here one can access the loggia of the cloister where the terracotta sculptures from the workshop Andrea Della Robbia can be viewed.
The museum visit continues to the nearby church of Santo Stefano degli Augustinian.
Piazza della Prepositura, 3